Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Radical - Chapter One

One definition I found for “radical” was “thoroughgoing or extreme”. What is “thoroughgoing”?? Another discussion for another day. But extreme. I know that one. I also know my faith is not extreme. It is not radical. (I guess it’s not thoroughgoing either.) As I am a world-class procrastinator, I just wrote my post today - my thoughts about what my faith looks like in all its un-radicalness.

Each morning I wake up – early – start my pot of Starbucks coffee, peruse the latest status posts on Facebook, catch up with the last eight to ten hours of news, and begin my quiet time (I do this daily, so for some of you, that might be radical). After my quiet time, I get ready and go to work – for a ministry. I spend my days on the phone counseling and praying for people (and taking orders – mama gotta make money somehow). I usually listen to a podcast or two throughout the day (Matt Chandler, David Platt, Mac Brunson) and go home. Once home, I unwind with an hour or two of television, then I conquer the dishes and laundry and go to bed. One night a week I have Bible study, and that’s really the only deviation. Radical much? I think not.

In reading Chapter One, I think the two things that stood out to me the most were not the quote I posted on Facebook or the whole “cost of nondiscipleship” – it was the two questions he asks not three pages in. “[Am] I going to believe Jesus?” “[Am] I going to obey Jesus?” Am I?? I would love to say yes. I would love to give a wholehearted, YES LORD, YES. But if I were to be honest, I would say, I’m not sure. I like my non-radical life. I like the comforts of middle-class America. I like my padded pew benches. I like my routine. Do I find it incredibly rewarding? Eh.

And so I come back to believing Jesus and obeying Him. I WANT to believe and obey. I want to be sold out for the cross of Christ. I want to completely surrender all of me. I want to be radical. And that’s my prayer. Because I know the God of the universe can “break my heart for what breaks His”. I know the God I serve can take a selfish, lazy, perfectionist and make her radical.

As I read through the intros last week, I came across one person (I think it was a girl), who said that her fear was that she’d read the book, really let it do a number on her heart, and walk away unchanged. Jesus, I DO NOT WANT that. I want You to make me extreme. I want You to make me “thoroughgoing”. I want You to make me radical.

5 comments:

Misty said...

your entire last paragraph. ditto that. that is exactly what i'm afraid of: not being willing ot be willing to be transformed. i want him to change me, but i'm afraid that i love some other things more?? (kids, family, comfort, fear of failure... etc)
this book is going to be soooo good, but soooo hard. glad to be on the journey w/ you!

Unknown said...

So...radical is the topic...I think Josh Patterson, Executive pastor of Village Church, might have said it best and you'll see as you read more of the book. Josh was addressing probably 500 or more people and he was preaching a funeral message of a mutual and dear friend. He posed the question, "Was his life radical or was it just biblical?" Unfortunately, Platt's book will fall on many deaf eyes and ears. Many will go unchanged...Platt's urging is for us not to be radical but to bring us to, possibly for the first time, a truly biblical world view and life. He has a few insights about that as well in the chapters to follow...enjoy, and proceed at your own risk of change.

Amy Bennett said...

There may have been more, but I know I was one of them that said I'm scared to leave unchanged. Yes! I'm praying we all walk away radical!

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

It is entirely up to us to walk away changed...the message remains the same it always has been- Take up your cross and follow Him! Here is hoping we all have the courage to do just that!

Marla Taviano said...

Wow, Hannah. Thank you so much for your honesty. I really liked the peek into your life and look forward to seeing how God works in your life (and mine)!